This journey began on Dec. 2 with a routine, yearly mammogram. Within a few days I got a "call back" because of unidentifiable tissue. On Tuesday, Dec. 13, I went back for a second mammogram and sonogram after which the radiologist recommended a biopsy of a lump in my left breast. On Tuesday, Dec. 20, I went back for the biopsy. They told me the results would take as much as a week with the holiday schedule, so when the phone rang at 1:27 p.m. only two days later, I had elevator stomach sitting right here in Lawton's chair.
Those are the concrete details. The rest of the story, as Paul Harvey would say, is that woven into the days of mammograms and biopsies were the plans for Wade's graduation from Texas Tech University on Dec. 16 followed by a family dinner for people we consider our "village" - you know, the one it takes to raise a child. We were also making plans to help Wade move to Clearwater, Florida, to begin his dream job - Community Relations Coordinator for the Dunedin Blue Jays. Yes, I said Blue Jays. As in Toronto Blue Jays minor league team. Don't hate.
On the morning after graduation, we gathered with my Draper family for brunch at Mitch & Donna Raindl's house for what turned into a family reunion. It was a morning of laughter, story-telling and remembering the good ol' days.
Needless to say, there was a lot going on in my head and heart during those first weeks. Wade is moving on Jan. 5, but I won't get to go with him. The steady, constant support and presence of Lawton Langford is the one thing that kept all the plates spinning. More about him later.
No comments:
Post a Comment
Comment: (Please include your name.)